He is a judge presiding over the Salem witch trails along with Deputy Governor Danforth.
Deputy Governor Danforth
He is the head judge of the Salem witch trials. He thinks he is fair-minded.
1. As this act opens, what accusations does Giles Corey make?
Giles Corey accuses that Thomas Putnam has been killing his neighbors to get land.
2. What news do we learn about Rebecca Nurse?
She was condemned to hang because she was accused to witchcraft.
3. When John Proctor arrives at court with Mary Warren, of what does Rev. Parris accuse him?
He has been accused of trying to overthrow the court.
4. What two pieces of evidence are brought out against Proctor in regard to his Christian nature?
He doesn’t go to church and plows on Sundays.
5. What news does Danforth tell John Proctor about Elizabeth? What deal does he try to make with him?
Elizabeth is pregnant and that she has one year to live for the baby.
6. What is going to happen to the 91 people who signed the testament stating a good opinion of Elizabeth, Martha Corey, and Rebecca Nurse?
They will arrest and question all 91 people.
7. Discuss “Do that which is good, and no harm shall come to thee.” (page 95).
If you are good, then no harm will come. If you do wrong, then bad things will come to you.
8. What is Giles Corey’s proof that Thomas Putnam is “reaching out for land.”? Why won’t he reveal his source?
Word of mouth from an honest man. He doesn’t want the person to go to jail.
9. What happens to Giles Corey?
He gets arrested and charged with contempt of court.
10. What is Rev. Hale’s advice to John Proctor as he is about to read his deposition before the court?
He needs to get a lawyer.
11. What does Danforth think Mary Warren’s appearance in the court might be?
Mary’s appearance might be that Satan is trying to overthrow the court.
12. When Mary Warren says that she pretended to faint in court, what is she asked to do? What is the result?
She is asked to faint, but she can’t.
13. What does Abigail do when suspicion that she might be pretending falls on her?
Abigail evades or attacks.
14. What does John Proctor do to discredit her?
John calls Abigail a *****. He is basically confessing that he committed adultery.
15. Who is called to back up John Proctor’s testimony? What happens?
Elizabeth is called to back up, but she lies and denies it.
16. What happens when Rev. Hale states that Abigail has always seemed false to him?
She pretends the bird is attacking.
17. What is Mary Warren’s reaction to Abigail’s performance?
She laughs and blames John Proctor.
18. What does John Proctor mean when he says, “God is dead!”?
He means that there is no god in Salem anymore.
19. What does Hale do when Proctor is arrested?
Rev. Hale quits the court when John Proctor gets arrested.